03 March 2009

Play nice, people!


Everyone knows this phrase "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" from the bible. There are many more secular ways to state it and variations, but I like "Treat others like you would like them to treat you."

Every major religion has some form of this Golden Rule as do most philosophies. So, if the deity of your choice and our own cognitive ability comes up with this same idea, why the hell don't people do it?

It makes perfect sense. I want this person to be nice to me, so I should be nice to them. Simple. I was talking to someone that was absolutely floored when they found out their significant other cheated on them. They couldn't believe it, they were hurt. I said, "But you also cheated on them." Their reply, "That's not the point". Huh?

I learned very early in life that people can be mean or cruel. But I also learned that if you are nice to them, they tend not to act this way to you. If they did even after I was nice, well, then I moved on. I evolved, they didn't.

Can you image how much the world would be different if people actually applied this philosophy? sit there for a moment and think about it. Staggering, huh?

I suggest you try this philosophy in your life for two weeks. Notice the change in you and the change in those around you. Let me know what happens.

1 comment:

The Queen said...

I totally believe in treating people as you would like to be treated. I'm always nice to people even if they are mean to me. It seems to work out nicely! :)