08 April 2009

Are You Experienced?


I recently read an article that said 'psychological research suggests that, in the long run, experiences make people happier than possessions.' Now without really thinking of it that way, I believe I have felt this same thing. I would much rather spend my money on tickets to a baseball game, play, concert or short weekend trip than something more material. A very insightful friend once told me, "The things you buy will break, become out dated, wear down, collect dust and be forgotten. But the things you do, the people you meet, the joys and yes pains you have will stay with you forever."

How many people are changed or experience true personal growth by buying a new HDTV? Don't you think they will gain more out of life by taking a surf class, going on a trip to Europe, or something as simple as going to the park with your kids and having a picnic.

Stop, slow down and look at what really matters. That is what will be there in 10, 20 , 50 years; not the TV. Let someone else be the Jones' and have all the newest and biggest things. You'll have something they don't and wish they did. True happiness.

No comments: