25 April 2009

Down with Hypocrisy!


I have an acquaintance that is a full red-blooded hypocrite. Anytime this person is called out on they get extremely defensive, make excuses and turn it around like it's my problem.

It's quite frustrating to deal with this type of behavior. If I was hypocritical, I would appreciate someone pointing it out. I strive to be true to myself as well as others.

Let me give you an example. This person completely dressed down someone for being judgmental, explaining that it's bad, that you can't make judgments about someone based on generalizations, lack of knowledge etc. Then less than an hour later, says "Look at the woman over there, I can't believe she's just letting her children act like that. Some people shouldn't have children." When I pointed out that it looks like they're not her kids since they're calling her by her name and not Mom, this person said "Well, that's good since she probably shouldn't have kids."

Hypocrisy is a damaging trait. Some people don't see the hypocrisy in the things they say or do, others choose to ignore it, still others use it as a tool to feel superior to others. Anyway that it's used, I implore you to stop. If you cannot be honest with yourself, you cannot expect others to be honest with you.

No comments: